Friday, May 11, 2012

Palettes in Natick: Paint, Drink, Connect, RELAX



Blogging has taken a back seat to life. And life has been full of yoga, painting classes at the Danforth Museum, time with my sons, designing and decorating the nonexistent house that I would love to own.  An invitation from Charlene to meet other bloggers at Palettes in Natick offered a great chance to have a drink, to paint and check out a local new business. And the evening was so lovely that I will return soon to Palettes with friends to paint some more (or at least attempt to do so!)
At Palettes, a group of non-artists went from blank canvases, to flowers in fields.  Ben, the in-house artist/teacher of the night helped us to laugh, to learn the filbert from the flat brush and to flip our paintings upside down to illustrate grass.  And, as you can see from the images at the top of the post we had a wonderful time putting our own spin on the "sunflowers in the field."  In fact, all 3 owners of Palettes are local artists.  Steve and Liza spent the night with us and shared how they transformed their passion for art into the store.
Ben was also the creator behind my favorite drink: The Dexter: a refreshing blend of fresh basil, blueberries, agave, Citron and club soda.  And, I have to say that combining a bar with a chance to paint is genius (and very, very fun!)
Palettes was generous enough to let us try samples of the treats that are made daily.  We ate grapes covered in goat cheese and pistachios, spinach salad with strawberries and a noodle salad topped with sesame seeds.

I dropped blue paint smack in my drink and was treated to a perfect replacement: Frangelico, Baileys and Kahlua.  I also loved the chance to catch up with Sharon, Sharon and Cindy.  And Liza made a great point-often when we go out with friends and family, we end up staring side by side at a movie screen. Meeting at Palettes means the chance to really enjoy another, while creating something that can then be hung on the wall.
Since my sons and I love to paint and sketch together, I am very excited to take them to family time on Sundays from 1:30 to 4.  But I also hope to return on my own to either open art or Palettes evening events where, for $35 I can spend 3 more hours learning to paint another painting. With my busy life right now, the chance to fit an art class in as I can is very appealing.

Palettes is located at 29 Main Street, right in Natick Center. Their website is a fabulous resource for learning more about this great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment