Monday, June 30, 2008

An Easy Snack For When Mommy Is Going Bananas

I do know that I am not the only person with a picky toddler. This foodie/mommy always assumed that my son would be requesting his pasta al dente by the time he was 2, but instead, he prefers yogurt and crackers, chicken nuggets and pizza. However, he is always willing to try foods. So he frequently requests everything from tofu to beets, dosas to sushi. In fact, he loves to go to the grocery store to get bananas.

And, thus, we have many bananas in the house. Now I will confess that I am one of those fussy banana people. It must be pure yellow, not a brown spot anywhere. And there is just so much banana bread that I can make. I have created and found a number of lite banana bread recipes, but sometimes I just can't muster making one more loaf that my husband and I will eat, adding to our non-dietary lives.

So one more banana goes in the freezer. And then recently, as an avalanche of bananas toppled over us when we reached for the ice cream, I decided it was time to ressurrect a childhood favorite: The Banana Shake.

As a kid I would throw a regular banana in a blender with whole milk and vanilla. In the heat of the summer, desperate for a way to rid myself of those frozen bananas, I am using those instead. I simply throw them in the freezer with their skins on and when I am hungry, I defrost them in the microwave for about 30 seconds per banana. I put the peeled banana in the blender with a more mommy friendly liquid (soy milk, rice milk or lowfat). I add whatever extra flavor I am craving: vanilla or nutmeg; frozen strawberries or cinnamon and blend away. It is easy, fast, and just delicious.

Other possibilities include adding frozen fruit such as strawberries or blueberries (I recommend briefly thawing them unless you have a very strong blender); pureed mangoes (available canned at most stores); or freezing them for popsicles for you and your toddler. My husband "foodiedaddy", loves to add yogurt (plain or vanilla) and lots of ice for a very cold treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment