Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Knife: Le Cordon Bleu Santoku by Wusthof at Amazon.Com


In the forthcoming book, Splendid Table's How To Eat Weekends, authors Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift write about good knives.  More specifically, they reference another author, Chad Ward who wrote, An Edge in the Kitchen.  According to Mr. Ward, you need to try out knives to decide if you like the French/German style or the Japanese style.  He notes that the former are sharper, but the later are lighter.  Until last week I understood what he meant.  My traditional Wusthof sliced well, but was heavy in my hand, especially since I am a short and relatively small woman.  My lighter knives, though, like my Kuhn Rikon, literally slipped out of my hands the first time I used it (hello, stitches!)  But recently, the kind folks at Wusthof were generous enough to send me a Santoku knife from the Le Cordon Bleu collection. And already it has become the only knife I use. The key? It is 30% lighter than their Classic Line and is made with their "Precision Edge Technology" (PEtec)  All that is a fancy way of saying that is light AND sharp.  And so far it has been a joy to use. I have diced potatoes, minced garlic, julienned carrots, sliced heirloom tomatoes and even used the sides to gently cube tofu.  In fact, it has been the only knife I have used since receiving it.  Hello, decluttering!  The best news? It is available for about $100.00.  In fact, I would recommend getting this one instead of a whole knife set which takes up far more room.  Just note that it is only available directly from Amazon.com or by clicking here.

Want more information from Wusthof about their Le Cordon Bleu line? Click here.

Want more information about The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends? Just wait, more posts are coming soon or go directly to the fabulous Splendid Table website!

No comments:

Post a Comment