Sunday, February 21, 2010

What is a Weekend Without Pancakes?

Pancakes have long been one of our weekend treats. For the past year, we have relied on a recipe from the cookbook, Bakin' Without Eggs. Although it is really just a simple buttermilk pancake recipe, the absence of eggs is great for a few reasons. First, it means that my 4 year old can eat them without worry of his egg allergy. Second, it couldn't be more convenient as we don't always have eggs in the house. Finally, they are remarkably good-fluffy and moist.

If I am feeling really wild and crazy, I mix it up for me and my youngest son (the almost 4 year old is a pancake purist!) I have mixed in mashed pumpkin and freshly grated nutmeg or mashed bananas and chocolate chips.

However, a few weeks ago I discovered a new favorite using my "Epi" App for my I Phone: Buttermilk Oatmeal pancakes. These are another great recipe for parents. Just mix up the ingredients the night before. (In our family, that means that my sons gather round to measure the flour and mix it while grains fly through the air.) By the morning, you can literally make tender pancakes in minutes. Best of all, they are whole grain and so you can even rationalize that they are relatively healthy! I don't even use butter, and just substitute vegetable oil to make it even easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment