Friday, January 6, 2012

A Simple Swap: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and Kripalu's Maple Walnut Scones

These flaky, tender, sweet scones were one of the highlights of my trip to the Kripalu Yoga Retreat Center.  So, I was delighted to see that the recipe for these delicious maple walnut scones were just published on the Kripalu blog. I will admit, the amount of shortening helped me to understand why they were so scrumptious!  As I have discovered through Heidi Swanson's blog, 101 Cookbooks, whole wheat pastry flour is a secret ingredient for creating wholesome and light baked goods, and Chef Deb Morgan clearly knows that trick. I swap it out for white flour in cookies and have been consistently pleased with the results. The key, though, is to make sure to use pastry flour, not regular whole wheat flour. The good news: whole wheat pastry flour is easily available at Whole Foods. Or, you can just head out to Kripalu as I plan to do soon.

1 comment:

  1. The recipe for the scones sounds great! You can also find Whole Wheat Pastry Flour at the Market Basket in Burlington, MA. The brand is Bob's Red Mill.

    ReplyDelete