Friday, May 25, 2012

Totto Ramen: Another Reason to Head to NYC




Is a four hour train ride really too long a trip to get an incredible bowl of ramen?  Not yet, or at least not until we have ramen in Boston that is as fabulous as what can be found in New York.   I have fond memories of my meal at Ippudo Ramen.  But after a visit to the MOMA and before getting on a train at Penn Station, I was thrilled to realize that another of New York's best was nearby: Totto Ramen. And, luckier still, it was the first day the restaurant opened at 4:00 on Sundays.

So, here is the thing, apparently the lines at Tutto can get long. As in one and a half hours long. But on that day, I was third in line for their little 12 seat restaurant.  I was helped along by a regular who told me I had to try the house speciality: chicken paitan ramen. The broth was so rich, so delicious, so wonderful that, yes, I could have lapped it up.  The smokey slices of char sui pork belly were so good that I had to get extra slices to drape on top. The chewy egg noodles wrapped their way through the broth and made for a perfect meal.

Totto Ramen, 366 West 52 Street, New York, NY; 212-258-0052

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the line at Totto Ramen can get a little long, but it's always worth it. Maybe not worth a four hour ride, but definitely one of the best restaurants in Midtown Manhattan. If you're in the mood for great ramen in Midtown, I would also recommend Tabata Noodle.

    ReplyDelete