Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Cottage, Chestnut Hill: Two Moms and a Night Out

It had been over a year since my friend Jen and I were able to get together. So when we made dinner plans, we knew we wanted to meet at place that was comfortable and convenient.  We wanted to be able to relax and really talk.  We also, though, wanted good food. Then I remembered The Cottage in Chestnut Hill and that they had generously offered to allow me to try it out with a friend. I have had a number of good meals at The Cottage in Wellesley and was optimistic about this new location.
And in fact, we had a lovely meal.  Like the Wellesley setting, The Cottage is decorated in calming blues and greens and overall has an atmosphere that is just comfortable.  Our server, Nate, was friendly and helpful.
We began with two drinks. Jen tried the night's speciality: a mix of huckleberry vodka and lemonade. I preferred my blood orange margarita which mixed Cuervo Silver tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice, agave nectar, Cointreau and included a wonderful Demera sugar rim.

When Nate suggested our first appetizer, I was hesitant: fried avocado?  It sounded impossibly rich. Truth be told, Jen and I couldn't stop eating it!  A play on the thick potato skins of our teens, the avocado was breaded, fried and topped with, yes, bacon, spiced sour cream, cheese and pico de gallo.  I would never make this at home, but I could easily crave this.
Our salad featured a summer treat: frozen grapes sitting on spinach leaves with candied pecans, feta cheese and fresh strawberries and blueberries.  Served with an orange vinaigrette it could easily be a light meal.
The Cottage is known for their fish dishes and that night they were offering wild Alaskan salmon. It was served with an arugula, corn and wild mushroom salad, as well as potatoes.  I enjoyed the earthy salad, but the potatoes were undercooked. And the salmon was...fine. It was a bit underseasoned and while good, did not astound us.
However, I enjoyed my filet mignon, cooked medium rare and topped with herb butter.  The accompanying potatoes, smashed and served with fontina, more sour cream and more butter were pretty heavenly. (Yes, I indulged that night!)
For dessert we tried another special: a double chocolate rocky road brownie topped with a scoop of ice cream. It was as rich as it sounded and too sweet for my taste. But we still ate it all.  We had to, right?
We also had a trio of Giovanni's iced treats.  My favorite was the smooth passion fruit gelato.  The blueberry sorbet would have benefited from lemon juice while the pineapple sorbet was a bit icy.

It was clear that children are welcome here.  And I appreciated that the children's menu offered more than the typical chicken fingers: tuna slider, meat loaf, chicken over garden salad.  And the sides included fruit salad, carrot and celery sticks or jasmine rice.  Kids' entrees, with a side and a beverage are $7.50.  In fact, that night the restaurant was filled with kids.  I may bring my kids to brunch.  At that meal, for $7.50 my kids could get pancakes, french toast or eggs.

But realistically, I may save the Cottage at Chestnut Hill for this: as a good place to meet a friend to have a drink, to enjoy a salad, and to really catch up.

The Cottage Chestnut Hill, 47 Boylston Street (Route 9), Chestnut Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment