Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A First Visit to Sebasco Harbor Resort, Maine

It didn't seem so complicated. I just wanted to find a beautiful place to vacation with my young sons for a few days.  The only requirement: that I didn't have to cook for a few days.  I love to cook.  Clearly. But after a year of being a working single mom, I needed a respite.  I had fond memories of our trip to Mexico which involved limitless platters of fruit, vegetables and baked goods.  But, since I couldn't afford any flights, I focused on New England. There were surprisingly few places that seemed to provide a nice place to stay, activities for kids and food for a reasonable price. Then, somehow, I stumbled upon Sebasco Harbor Resort in Maine.  And thanks to them generously giving us a discount, we were able to spend 4 lovely days there in July.  (And thanks to my mom for joining in the fun!)
Ultimately, we had a delightful time. The staff was one of my most favorite in all my travels: genuinely kind and helpful.  The grounds were both lovely and fit with the Maine surroundings, full of wild flowers, towering trees, rock formations and a glorious harbor.  The food was good and the activities kept us content.
Sebasco offers a huge range of accommodations.  The main four choices were cottages (too big for us), rooms in a lighthouse (umm...didn't want the young ones disrupting others!), the main lodge (no availability in the family suite) or the newer Harbor Village Suites (pictured at the top of this post).  For most people, the benefit of the Harbor Village space would be that it has air conditioning.  We chose this modern space because, with four of us, we needed two rooms.  One room had a huge king bed, a TV and a large, full bathroom. The other room had a pull-out couch, another TV, a kitchenette, a bathroom and a small patio. They also brought us a cot for my younger son.  It was spotless, airy and offered plenty of room for all of us.  That being said, it wasn't cheap. (The Sebasco website is incredibly detailed in terms of videos of the rooms and pricing. Expect to pay between $200 and $400 a night for the different accommodations though it depends on the time of the year, day you arrive, etc.)
No matter where you stay you don't is not having to go far to enjoy the place. And, in fact, we loved all we did at Sebasco.  Click here for more posts about our favorite eats, activities and discoveries.

Sebasco Harbor Resort, Phippsburg, Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment