Thursday, April 28, 2011

More Serenity at the Mandarin Oriental Spa and Fitness Center

When I planned my staycation in Boston, a spa was my first priority. And I chose the Mandarin Oriental for just this reason. Ironically, the good news is that you don't have to be a guest at the hotel to use the spa facilities. However, but if you are a hotel guest you can use the facilities as long as they are open.
(photo from the Mandarin Oriental)
I have been spoiled in terms of spas. Last year I fell in love with the spa at the Iberostar Tucan in Playa del Carmen. And years ago I went hiking with a friend and we spent the day at the incredible Fairmont Hotel in Banff Springs, repleat with mineral hot springs. But the Mandarin Oriental is far closer and was lovely in its own right.

While there were no mineral hot springs at the Mandarin Oriental, they did have a huge spa area. I was welcomed with a steaming hot towel that had been enhanced with wonderful mineral oils and in minutes I had settled into the spa experience. In the separate women's area is the "Crystal Steam Room" with lights that change color, giving the impression of a night sky. The hot tub was so deep that you could do laps in it. And then there was the shower which had 4 buttons that imitate the rhythm and sounds of, say, a rain forest. There is also a space to relax, with comfy chairs, magazines, fresh fruit, almonds and bottled water.
(Photo from the Mandarin Oriental)
The highlight, for me, though, was the massage I had from Emily. It was, hands down, the best I have ever had. I was always skeptical of getting a massage, but this time I walked out feeling my bones and muscles sigh deeply. The 60 minute, "Oriental Essence" massage was the perfect amount of time for me to both relax and to enjoy the rest of the spa.
The spa was directly connected to the fitness center. I loved the luxury of being able to roll down from my lovely hotel room directly to the gym. And, better still each machine had its own personal TV, movie channels, bottled water and fresh fruit.
Such are the joys of working out at the Fitness Center at the Mandarin Oriental. It is for guests and residents alone, but is certainly a compelling benefit of staying at the hotel. The gym is made up of 3 rooms, one for free weights, one for aerobic machines.
But my favorite was the third room that had Lulumon yoga mats and was perfect for a yoga session.
Finally, if you are hungry, you can eat at the adjacent spa restaurant and take a break from the world outside. I didn't get a chance to do so on this visit, but it is one more thing on my list to do when I return.

The Spa at the Mandarin Oriental, Mandarin Oriental, Boylston Street, Boston, 61-535-8888

No comments:

Post a Comment