Saturday, April 2, 2011

THE Soup: Tom Yum Noodle Soup at Lemon Thai in Wellesley

By the end of a work week, I need a hearty lunch. By the end of a week making lunch for my kids, I need someone to make lunch for me. And while I had always enjoyed the food at the little Lemon Thai Cuisine in Wellesley, Rod Dee had spoiled me for incredible and authentic Thai food. However, last year I discovered a gem hidden in the menu. Past the soups, in the "Noodles" section, was an offer of "Tom Yum Noodle Soup." The menu lists it as "choice of ground chicken or ground pork, sweet and spicy flavor thai noodle soup with ground peanut."

And what arrives at your table? A massive bowl with the most intoxicating and haunting aroma. The broth is rich and tastes of hints of lime, chilis and hints of sweetness. The massive bowl is full of noodles and your choice of ground meat. It is then topped with fresh cilantro, shallots and bean sprouts. Most people could easily spread this over two meals. I, though, devour it in one sitting, slurping the elixar. Ultimately, this soup is just addictive and I now crave it weekly.

A few tips: be clear when you order that you want the Tom Yom Noodle Soup. There is a Tom Yum soup that is a simple appetizer and misses the glory of the soup. If you order the soup for take out, they will deliver it with the noodles in one container and the broth in another. Eat it soon, so the cold vegetables retain their texture against the warm broth.

And, of course, let me know what you think!

Lemon Thai Cuisine, 555 Washington Street, Wellesley, 781-237-6996

No comments:

Post a Comment