Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Surprise of a Sandwich at A & J King Bakery in Salem

On my way home from a respite in Rockport, I steered off to Salem, hoping to find crusty loaves of bread at A & J King Bakery. And, in fact, I did make it home with a bag full of a heavenly chewy, flavorful pain au levain that I devoured with my sons that night. But what I didn't expect was to be able to sit down for a bit, drinking coffee from Coffee By Design in Portland. I didn't anticipate the tender and crumbly pecan shortbread. And I certainly didn't plan on thoroughly loving my Banh Mi, of all things. Sitting between two pieces of their French bread, lay Niman Ranch's lean smoked ham, coated with homemade mayonnaise and moistened with house-made pickled vegetables. And best of all, the bakery is just close enough to the Peabody Essex Museum to make it a ritual stop on a day trip.

A & J King Bakery, 48 Central Street, Salem, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment