Sunday, March 25, 2007

Edamame...Essentially

One of my favorite ingrediants are frozen edamame or soybeans. Although they are available in the pod, the shelled version, found at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, is one of the best instant meals available. Pure protein, low in fat and delicious, I sometimes just microwave a handful for a snack or throw some into the pot as I finish boiling pasta. With soy sauce on top, it is almost comfort food.

The other day, as I stared at my cupboard, and R., sick and wanting only the comfort of my arms, I created a yummy and very easy meal using the edamame. My friend had given me a recipe for "Oriental Salad" that included unhealthy (though tasty) Ramen noodles and included some ingrediants that I didn't have (such as scallions.) But with a few substitutions (I had just discovered "Broccoli Slaw"-pre-slivered vegetables), with less than 5 minutes of prep, I was done!

Easy Asian Salad

1/2 box of cooked thin pasta (spaghetti works) drained in cold water
2 T. rice vinegar
3 T sugar
1/4 cup sesame oil
any veggies (I used a bag of Brocolli slaw but you could also throw in steamed green beans, peapods, carrot slices)
1-2 cups of defrosted edamame (or shredded cooked chicken for a non-veggie version)
a few dashes of hot oil (optional)

salt
pepper

Mix together. Put in the frig for about an hour. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment