Friday, July 16, 2010

A Perfect Lunch Stop, En Route from Boston to Smugglers' Notch Resort

I can't get from point A to B without doing some investigative research (otherwise known as searching the web) into finding a great place to eat. But despite my best attempts, I wasn't able to find a quick, decent place to feed antsy toddlers on the drive from Metrowest Boston up to the Smugglers' Notch/Stowe/Burlington area on our trip to Smugglers' Notch.

So, I decided on this gorgeous day, we would picnic. I filled our bags with sliced apples, carrots, turkey, crackers, and fresh bagels. And then I hoped we would find a nice place to eat. In fact, our spot was, kid you not, one of the highlights of the trip. Alas, I didn't think to photograph it, but trust me, the rest stop in Springfield, Vermont, just over the New Hampshire border, on Route 91 is lovely. It consisted of a clean indoor area, full of maps for the kids' entertainment, clean bathrooms and your requisite vending machines. But through the building was a covered picnic table, with other picnic areas up on a hill. It overlooked bodies of water and the glorious greenery of a July in Vermont. My kids ran and explored and ate.

So, while it wasn't a memorable meal for the food, it was a perfect start to our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment